Monday, March 23, 2009

Do you like Sam Cooke, y'all? Don't he look Boss, y'all? (Day 110)

First of all, allergies are assholes and I wish I never had a nose right now. Mine are debilitating. Pollen is a a bastard invention by the Man to keep the rebellious down. Truly.

I wound up writing two chapters last night, and I'm really pleased with how both turned out. I like where the book is heading, and from passages I've shared here and there some people really seem to like it okay. So I'm pretty excited about that.

When I'm done writing the book, I'd like to post here videos of all the songs I listened too incessantly, to really let people know how I set the mood. Oh yeah, baby...how the Show Stopper does his thang, and sets the mood.

I'm hoping to be done with Open Roads and Brick Walls, which when I first asked if that should be the title, I kind of hated it, but the further I go with this book...the more it makes sense.

So the Chapters I've got written now are Intro/1-5.

Intro/A Sinners Mind.
Cold Water Body Shock.
An Evening With Sal Paradise.
Rooftops.
Apples Versus Oranges.

I'm going to start work on the next Chapter, called Days Gone By. I'm pretty excited. So before I head off, here's a clip from chapter 5:

Apples v. Oranges


"She squeezes my thigh, and I nearly throw up. It's too real, and it needs to be diluted somehow.
I just wish it could be. God damn the fingers in my thigh, the tears in her eyes and the
hurt in his voice. God damn the moment cancer became a word, god damn the moment Miles Davis and
Johnny Cash died. God damn the moment this songs going to end...and god damn the moment in three
years when I'm three thousand miles and feel this helpless to console him even though this time
he's three feet away...god damn that moment when I'm three thousand miles away, and he whispers
those words, "Chuck, I have cancer."


God damn the moment I realize it's his birthday."


-Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

Velvet said...

I really, really like the song/video idea. That will be muy bueno.