Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm so sick of fighting with every single person I know. (Day 53)

Once again my doctor has made me out to look like a doctor, and thats fine. I've already got a sterling reputation, one more tarnish isn't going to hurt.

The other night someone asked me if they should be a writer. It might strange, and despite doing other things to make ends meet, when you do write...it kind of takes everything out of you. It's physically and emotionally taxing, and to be quite honest with you...I wouldn't suggest it. Pick up a bass, or get a drum kit. Everyone wants to play guitar, no one wants to be the real backbone of a band and lay down as the skeleton and hold anything together; they want to be the skin, the part only the most casual of people see or seem to care about.

If you need an artistic outlet and you want to take a somewhat difficult road, but one that almost undoubtedly will yield even the smallest of noticeable returns, just pick up a bass guitar and learn how to pick it out. By 'Static Age' from the Misfits (not the 'new version', the real version with Danzig on the vox box), and work from there to the Ramones, and then the Alkaline Trio. You'll pretty much learn all you need to know to be a punk rock bassist from there. Not to take away from the musicianship that it takes to play bass, Dan Andriano is fucking brilliant on those four strings. Brilliant.

Work it out in sweaty clubs with people throwing shit at you, or insulting you or ironically yelling out a "Free Bird" request (the worlds first meme, apparently) at every single show thats ever existed since that song became a hit.

Or pick up a drum kit. Start with the Misfits, Ramones, Alkaline Trio sure, but make sure to include bands like the Suicide Machines and even the Lawrence Arms. Derek Grant is a genius behind the snare and cymbals. I've never seen someone so effortlessly switch between right and left handed domination, and then back. He makes it look so easy...but Neil Hennessey is the most underrated drum currently pounding away. And he's so god damned good it's kind of scary.

As for writing though...it's impossible to ever gauge what it is you're doing, if it matters at all or how badly you might actually suck. Theres no fervor, theres no fire behind it. Whats even the point at all? Anyone who ever really left a lasting impression on the world behind the pen and pad was never really fully recognized until they were long dead, save for a handful of writers here and there. But only time will tell whats in store for that legacy.

But being in a punk rock band...when people love you, they hang onto you with a love so unparalleled that it'd be borderline stalker-esque in any other circumstance. The shitty thing is, as soon as those miles logged in a van start to pan out, they will turn on you. Whatever though, they will still be at the shows requesting "Free Bird" to maintain their credibility. Just enjoy the ride, and pay no mind.

But it's not like I could ever do a book reading and someones going to request "A PERFECT DAY FOR BANANAFISH!!!" and I'm just going to start reading it. One in one hundred people (save for those that click that link) would even understand that reference. So really, whats the point? I don't even know, I just know I don't really have any other desire to do anything else besides see my dreams dashed to bits on a monthly basis. Rejection tastes like bananafish. Delish!

But to you...I wouldn't suggest it. That might actually go on my urn, too.

While you still have the chance, learn the three chords to "Blitzkrieg Bop" and never look back. Making music is one of the most ethereal and respected things to do in this world.

Until tomorrow.

3 comments:

Brownakin Skywalker said...

<3 salinger

Velvet said...

I dunno...I get really excited when one of my favorite authors comes out with a new book. Like, authors may not have groupies that they get to snort lines of coke off of, or whatever, but they are making a lasting impression too, I think. I know you have...

Anonymous said...

Haha.
'Nine Stories' is great.
Jawbreaker has a song on that live album named after a story from that Salinger collection.