Wednesday, May 27, 2009

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl. (Day 172)

Today's lyric...lets be honest, if you don't know where it's from, you might not know what color the sky is. It's originally from Pink Floyd's 1973 album Wish You Were Here (song of the same name).

The thing is, I don't like Pink Floyd. I never really have, and I don't think I ever will. However, this song is so extraordinarily beautiful, touching on the hope for a friend who is slowly succumbing to mental illness...it's always hit close to home with me.

But the video today comes from Dan Andriano, the bassist and co-vocalist of my favorite band of all time, the Alkaline Trio. His voice is perfect for this song, and I really hope you agree. While you can't really see much, you hear his voice perfectly.

Dan is one of the most talented musicians out there today. His voice has a hint of Elvis Costello meets...something else I can't quite put my thumb on. But it's such an extraordinary voice.

For the next following week or so, I'll be putting up only Alkaline Trio lyrics for the posts. Next Tuesday I will hopefully be seeing them live, and I couldn't be more excited.

Dan Andriano though, he's been such a tremendous addition to Alkaline Trio, and my life as a whole. While I've always stated I tend to be more partial to Matt Skiba's songs and vocals, that in no way is meant to take anything away from him. His songwritting has only progressed, his songs have only become more anthemic over the years.

I really hope you enjoy this cover as much as I do. It means a whole hell of a lot to me. I hope if you aren't yet an Alkaline Trio song, this gives you incentive to check them out further.

Enjoy!



-Until tomorrow.

No comments: