Friday, July 3, 2009

I felt my tongue swell and fingers split. (Day 204)

Today is kind of a short deviation from what I usually have been doing for the past month or so. Those lyrics are from me, and they are from a song that I recorded today.

We've been in this building/makeshift recording studio for 11 hours now, and at one point we all got so stir crazy we wound up recording maybe the most silly and ridiculous song ever done. At one point I do the voice of Inspector Gadget's nemsis, anything to just kill the stir crazy feelings.

But after that we all seemed to be in a really good place, and we wound up recording a very rough demo of a song I wrote called, "Say Goodbye To My Old Life, I'm Off To Better Days."


It's the final track of of an album I've been writing called, "Go Get That Education, Mama" which is, for all intents and purposes a somewhat autobiographical account at sometimes, and a very personal story of four different people (yes, myself is included in that.) It's a project that I'm most proud of. At times it's somewhat sad, at othertimes it's happy. It even tells a really good love story, too. Well, maybe not really good...maybe that's too bold of a statement. However, it is a song thaqt I really like and can't wait to record.

It's a new hing for me. I've recorded a few other songs before, but not to this extent. Not in a comfortable and relaxed environment. So relaxed that at one point during set up I wound up sleeping on the hard floor for about and hour.

I'm not the only one recording any material here, either. I've been extremely lucky to watch to very talented singers and musicians give some very passionate performances. I was even lucky enough to join in on a cover of Thrice's "Come All You Weary".


That song is very beautiful. Regardless of your opinions on church or faith or God, or if you believe or not I really think most people could relate to this song in one form or another.

And in singing it, I realized just the depth of how much I've turned my life around. Or begun too, at the very least, and I can see some of the rewards coming from that. Letting go of that ghost on my back, I'm no longer so depressed and unwilling to do anything social. This past week has been an amazing week, and a lot has gotten accomplished along the way.

Along the way. Who would have ever though that those three words would actually carry such an interesting connotation?


If laughter is the medicine of the soul, the music is the food. Without it...where would any of us be?

-Until tomorrow.

No comments: