Monday, March 2, 2009

We can't spend our lives waiting to live. (Day 89)

I've been thinking a lot lately about Twittering.

I've always been highly against it because, minus our President/Elected officials, no one is that important or noteworthy that we need to know about every time they take a dump or cook a hot pocket.

But in the adverse, I can see the way the world is bending with the trends. And I want to be able to write, and live decently off of that. I have inexpensive taste, so theoretically, it's not entirely implausible, and people for some reason really like to have that accessibility to people. We've grown up in a society now, where our society is in love with reality shows and being able to voyeur.

And despite my personal feelings on that, other than it makes me kind of sick to think that the creators of the Real World were somehow visionaries. That's a category that also holds Mahatma Gandhi, Rosalind Franklin and Leonardo Da Vinci.

But I just wanna keep growing. I have to say lately I'm really surprised with the growth here (and Texas, I have no idea where you came from as far as readership here, but God bless you).

So my question I'm posing to you guys, do you think this Twitter is something I should ever invest in? Keep in mind that I don't even own a cell phone because I just haven't be able to justify why I would ever need one. I'm not that important that someone would ever need to contact me, honestly. I can't think of a time when someone needed to speak to me so direly. I have a home phone line, and an email, you know?

But as far as the medium of writing goes, you kind of have to swallow whatever shallow notions of 'integrity' you have, and that goes with anything. The times are changing so rapidly, you have to think miles ahead just to keep afloat.

So what do you guys think? I'd really appreciate a lot of comments on this.

*EDIT*

It completely slipped my mind earlier, but in reference to last nights update from Ryan, God bless him, I came home after my weekend out to find out that my keyboard no longer worked.

This of course was devastating to me because the computer/internet is my life blood. Where I live is desolate and disconnected from this rest of civilization, and this is my portal to the world.

So Ryan stepped up and updated for me.

Turns out while I was gone, my mother spilled coffee on the keyboard, but because it didn't shoot sparks out, she figured that there was nothing wrong with it.

After tearing my room apart, I happened to find a keyboard that I think actually came with the house. I hate it. It's loud, and every keystroke sounds like a war. I mean that. It's loud, and it's annoying, and whatever. I'm also fairly sure it's literally older than I am, but hey...it works.

So if you have a keyboard you can donate, preferably one that doesn't sound like a cannon going off every time I type, I'd be eternally grateful.


-Until tomorrow.

2 comments:

Velvet said...

Absolutely fucking not.

This is the most depressing post I have ever read from you.

WTF.

Anonymous said...

I personally like a writer's work to be passive, in the sense that I get to choose when I want to read it. Like I can pick up a book to read when I want or come to this blog and read when I want. As opposed to Twitter, which if I understand correctly, would send the new post and notification to the reader. Technically I suppose it shouldn't make a difference. One might just be more annoying than the other.

Also, for me, it has less to do with integreity and more to do with medium. Reading this blog feels more like reading your journal. Reading a Twitter update would feel more like reading a daily news report.

But it's still a personal choice and definitely a way to get more readers.