Thursday, June 18, 2009

If I could make a copy of myself I might, so I could have twice as much of everything. (Day 193)

Band - The Velvet Teen

Song - Radiapathy

Album - Out of the Fierce Parade.







This song invokes a lot of nostalgia for me. The way it seemingly builds off of something such as waking up every single day and hating that work or whatever tedious and menial chore awaits you.

I really relate to this song. The last line in the song always makes me wish I could wake and see the end of the world, because in this day and age we've seen it all...I truly believe that might be the only way we can be shaken from our somnambulism. I truly can't be the only person that feels this way, either.

I think we were meant to sit and work. I think we were meant to live and explore and love. I know that sounds a bit hippie-ish, but I did once have a one night stand with a hippie girl. But even besides that, I think that's still true.

Every night, especially when it's cool outside, I wish I could just pack up a back pack, some books and my cd's (no ipod for me, unfortunately) and just drive until there's no more road. And then turn around and do it again. To discover and explore every crevice this country has to offer, and then some. All under the protection of the black sky and cool air.

Last year I was in California for most of August. I stayed at a friends house, and I would feel the cool ocean air sometimes while walking to point a to point b. And you look from where she lives, and you see this all consuming black vortex that harbours a completely different universe, and that universe is the road to a completely different side of the map, or the world and there's someone else's story being written. God, I wish I could be there to see it happen, or at least just meet the offer.

But instead it kind of kills me that we're confined to doing something that in all actuality, if we really love, should be a glorified hobby rather than a means to an end. Life should be the job. The one job you actually keep up until that day you ultimately retire from.

I'm not quite sure what I'm getting at. I just wish I could salve the itch of this burning desire to travel.


-Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

Velvet said...

I think it's one of those itches you can never quite scratch. Once it starts...it never stops.